Is Great Western Bank’s overdraft product right for you?
It happens to everyone now and then: A deposit goes unmade, a payment goes unrecorded, and then, at the worst possible moment, your card is denied. If you authorize the Bank to do so, CheckHonor Plus may allow the ATM or one-time debit card charge to go through even if your account is short of funds.
We will charge a fee for each nonsufficient funds (NSF) transaction if an overdraft occurs. Other fees apply as well. Please read the disclosure below before Opting In/Out of CheckHonor Plus. Great Western Bank pays overdrafts at its own discretion. To Opt in and consent to use of the CheckHonor Plus product, visit a Bank Branch or submit the form below. If you wish to no longer use the CheckHonor Plus overdraft product, you may Opt out at any time by calling us at 1-800-952-2043, visiting a Bank Branch or submitting the form below.
If you are concerned about receiving overdraft fees, if you have an alternative method of payment in case of emergencies, or if you use one of our other overdraft protection plans our CheckHonor Plus overdraft product may not be right for you.
What You Need to Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay that transaction anyway. Great Western Bank can cover your overdrafts in one of two ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a separate savings or checking account or an overdraft line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
➢ What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
As a standard practice, we do authorize and pay overdrafts for:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic pre-authorized bill payments
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to through CheckHonor Plus (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday (one time, non-recurring) debit card transactions
Great Western Bank pays overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
➢ What fees will I be charged if Great Western Bank pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- If you overdraw your account over $10 we will charge you a fee of $33 for each item presented up to a maximum of $165 per account per day. These fees apply whether the item is paid or returned.
- Other than the daily limit, there is no limit on the total fees we may charge you for overdrawing your account.
- If your account is overdrawn for 5 or more consecutive business days, we will charge an additional $10 per business day (not applicable in Iowa).
➢ What do I do if I want Great Western Bank to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions using CheckHonor Plus?
If you also want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, call 1-800-952-2043 or complete the form below. CheckHonor Plus will not be available immediately after applying. Please wait 2-4 business days.